Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Where are all the bats?

The other day one of my neighbors and I were exchanging our recent house project war stories and he stated that at least I won't have a bat problem in my attic this year. I didn't know what he was talking about and after talking a little more we confirmed that it was one of our other neighbors that had the bat issue.

But now I wanted to know why he made the statement as my wife and I had talked about getting a bathouse to help control the mosquitoes in the yard. Turns out the bats in the Northeast are close to being wiped out by disease (NJ.com)! Not only is this bad for the bats, it's bad for everyone as a single bat consumes thousands of insects a night, including mosquitoes.

Hopefully, all the researches can figure out what's going on with the bats. In the meantime, we need to find another solution for mosquito control. I first heard of this product (my mosquito deleter) over at www.thisyounghouse.com and it looks like it will do the trick. I just ordered some and am awaiting their arrival, I will report the results in the near future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Forest- Do you have any updates on My Mosquito Deleter? I'm curious if it works. Thanks!

Mr. Forest said...

They definitely trap mosquitos but not all of the larvea swim to the trap portion so I believe some do escape. Plus I believe there's another source of water somewhere so I haven't noticed a differance in numbers.