Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Holiday Weekend Work!

I actually did some work on the bathroom this weekend. I really needed a change of pace from getting the floor ready to grout so I decided to start working on the window.

I started the window sill repair on Friday. I'm using a combination of a Dutchman and wood putty. The Dutchman will serve as a support for the putty as I didn't want to shell out the cash for the expensive epoxy wood repair product I wanted to use. I could have used just a Dutchman but I figured it would take a lot more work to blend it in with the existing sill. Below are pictures of the missing portion of sill and the Dutchman in-place.
The Dutchman was secured with wood glue and screws. At first, I thought the connection would not be sturdy enough but after the glue cured I have no more doubts about it.

On Saturday I figured that I should probably start stripping the paint on the window before rebuilding the sill with the putty. I used the SoyGel wood stripper that had been purchased years earlier for stripping various wood elements around the house. Of course the seal hadn't broken broken on the container until that day and there were some concerns about whether or not it would still work. Well, it does! This is the first time I've ever stripped paint and I'm really impressed with the product. See below for pictures of the stripper in action (No, it's not me)!

No comments: